Carbon Monoxide Gas, a silent killer in home!
Someone rightly said, “It’s not death, it is dying that alarms me”. If we can spend 100’s of $$ on cell phone upgrade, why not spend $50 and upgrade your carbon monoxide device? At least, if someone needs to wake me up, then I have my phone next to me; but not always!!
Three souls were almost killed in GTA home by Carbon monoxide gas; it’s a colourless, odourless, tasteless and extremely toxic gas. It can poison the body gradually in low doses or quickly when it is highly concentrated. It reduces the body’s ability to transport oxygen in blood. Symptoms of carbon monoxide inhalation are flu-like and include: headaches, dizziness, burning eyes, drowsiness and loss of consciousness. Cases of severe inhalation may result in brain damage or death.
All dwellings should be equipped with a Carbon monoxide alarm. Make sure that your detector meets the Canadian Standards Association CAN/CGA 6.19 standards or the Underwriters Laboratories UL 2034 standard. Carbon Monoxide, unlike smoke, does not rise but rather mixes with air. Detectors therefore should be placed at waist level in areas that receive undisrupted airflow. If a combination smoke/CO detector is going to be used it should be placed on the ceiling and like always close to areas where people sleep. By the way, “Carbon Monoxide Detectors Now Mandatory in Ontario Homes”.
Make sure you replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector at least once every year and don’t forget to do the same for your smoke detector.