|Population Density||0.3/km2 (0.8/sq mi)|
|City Area||1,654.58 km2 (638.84 sq mi)|
|Elevation||200 m (700 ft)|
Killarney is a municipality located on the northern shore of Georgian Bay in the Sudbury District of Ontario, Canada. Killarney is commonly associated with Killarney Provincial Park, which is a large wilderness park located to the east of the townsite which occupies much of the municipality’s expanded boundary.
In addition to the community of Killarney itself, the communities of Hartley Bay and Bigwood, and the ghost towns of French River, Collins Inlet and Key Harbour, are also located within the municipal boundaries.
The eastern end of the La Cloche Mountain Range is also located within the municipality of Killarney.
The area was named after the town of Killarney in Ireland.
The area was first settled in 1820 by French Canadian fur trader Étienne Augustin de Lamorandière and his Anishinaabe wife Josephte Saisaigonokwe, who established a trading post named Shebahonaning (canoe passage) at the townsite.
Killarney was operated as a fishing camp by the Fruehauf Trailer Company in Detroit, Michigan. Roy Fruehauf, president of the company from 1949 to 1961, was primarily responsible for operating Killarney. Clients and guests would be flown in via Mallard Sea Planes for vacations during the warmer summer months.
Highway 637, connecting Killarney to Highway 69, was constructed in 1962. Prior to its construction, the community relied primarily on water transport via Georgian Bay and the North Channel.
The current municipality was incorporated on January 1, 1999, when the Ontario provincial government expanded the boundaries of the township of Rutherford and George Island, the former governing body of the community of Killarney. The municipality was also transferred from the Manitoulin District to the Sudbury District at that time. In 2006, the municipality was enlarged again when it annexed the unorganized mainland portion of Manitoulin District.
The larger municipality of Killarney now encompasses virtually all of Killarney Provincial Park and the French River delta, and in fact extends all the way to Highway 69, over 70 kilometres from the townsite. Despite the municipality’s geographic size, however, most of its population continues to reside in the community of Killarney itself, although smaller settlements also exist at Hartley Bay and Bigwood.